Thursday, March 31, 2016

PCR Gels 1

This week in lab I took my final PCR product and ran it on a gel to see if the Polymerase Chain Reaction cut my DNA into the correct size of small fragments. The type of gel used for PCR products is exactly the same as the one used for genomic DNA, as well as the dye used to make DNA glow and the machine used to visualize the DNA. So in theory, if I had strong bands of genomic DNA after extraction, and I use the same gels and dye, as long as the PCR worked correctly, I should get pretty strong, clear bands of PCR product.

Unfortunately when I ran my PCR gels they did not come out as beautiful as my genomic DNA bands did. The PCR product was very difficult to visualize using the UV machine, and even where bands could be seen they were not of the right length for the primers I choose. I feel this might have been because I didn't mix my samples enough before putting them into the PCR machine. I am running another trial on my PCR to see if that was the case. If I still have weak bands I will have to trouble shoot the problem again.




No comments:

Post a Comment