Friday, March 25, 2016

Dilution Fail

This week in lab I ran a Polyermerase Chain Reaction for the first time. I wanted to be able to have the PCR done on Thursday so I could run a gel on Friday but, alas, I did not account for the time it would take to prepare my chemicals and was not able to complete the experiment. All day Thursday I diluted my stock solutions of primers and my DNA samples to have consistent concentrations of each in my tiny test tubes.

To be honest I'm a little annoyed that I didn't know to get that stuff diluted on Tuesday when I had so little to do in the lab. From now on I need to take more initiative and find out exactly what I need to do myself, not rely on the lab instructor when they say I didn't have any prep work.

Anyway today I ran my PCR. One basically mixed together very small quantities of clear liquids into baby sized PCR tubes and then puts them into a machine that does all the work. The PCR machine cycles between various temperatures causing the clear liquids to do different steps of a reaction depending on the temperature. Its all very technical. I'm not sure if mine will work because I didn't mix the tiny little drops when I added them to the tube.

Tiny Tiny Little PCR Tubes:


Tiny Tiny Little Clear Drops:

No comments:

Post a Comment