Saturday, September 12, 2015

Fall Week 1

How time flies! School has been in session for nearly three weeks, all my classes are now in full swing and I'm finally getting back into the rhythm of things.
Most of this week has been spent catching up with all the lab people and getting to know some new faces. Other than that I've been using the light microscope to try and find endophytes in silver leaved night shade leaves before sterilizing and plating them. It hasn't been as easy as during the summer because the health status of the individuals I'm taking samples from keeps changing. First I thought they were all completely dried out and dead but, now my brother has started to water the front lawn, where these plants grow, there are tons of healthy, unstressed plants without endophytes. I feel like I need to control their growing conditions more stringently.

Here is a photo of Silver leaved nightshade or Solanum elaeagnifolium:

No comments:

Post a Comment