Saturday, August 1, 2015

Summer Week 10

This week in lab has been spent in contemplation of my summer. As it nears to an end, and I begin to write my final paper, I am compelled to think about all I have accomplished:

  • Staining plant tissues to identify endophytes microscopically
  • Perfecting my sterilization technique to include the laminar hood
  • Moving my fungi from bengal agar to potato dextrose agar
  • Using tape mounts to stain fungal structures 
  • Using super cooled ethanol to freeze dry fungal tissues
  • Extracting DNA with a kit
I certainly have had a productive summer. But I think the most important thing I did this summer was sit down and discuss with Cori how to organize my data. I have been struggling with this since I got into this program. What to write down and in what format. Cori really helped me understand how it is people in labs organize data and helped me make more sense of my lab notebook. She's a great mentor

This is a video showing my freeze drying setup 

No comments:

Post a Comment