Thursday, July 9, 2015

Summer Week 7

This week in lab I did a variety of things.

I've noticed in the past that the agar in my petri plates will dry out and crack, a process called desiccation. To prolong the life of my endophytes, I have decided to move cultures to new plates. Because I no longer need to select against any bacteria or fast growing fungi I have decided to move my cultures to plates filled with straight potato dextrose agar, no antibiotics or rose bengal dye. So on Monday I made PDA and filled my plates with it.

On Tuesday I moved my cultures. I have also noticed that some of my plates will grow a black fungal contaminate which I assume is coming from the air. To prevent this from happening again I used the laminar hood when moving my cultures. Hopefully by sterilizing the air with UV light there will not be any contamination on my newest plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment