Wednesday, March 11, 2015

WEEK 7

This week in lab was very colorful. The mold gardens I made last week grew spectacular fungal colonies. The rainbow of species is so awe inspiring I haven't identified any. Some look like little green hills with white, crystalline hyphea snow frosting the tops. There are black slime molds with lightning bolts of hypea diving deep into the agar for nutrients. See its stunning: 

Ok so maybe you have to see it close up. I think its pretty. 

Anyway this week I also noticed a white slow-growing fungi on some of the oleander stems. An endophyte needs a minnimum of two weeks to appear so the timing is perfect. Here is a photo Amanda took for me using her phone: Thanks Amanda!

I still don't really know how to identify fungi so I have no clue what kind this may be. I just really hope nothing grows over break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment