Thursday, February 19, 2015

Week 4

This week was a short week because of the holiday. All Hail the Presidents!
Anyway, Wednesday I was waiting for Rose Bengal and coomassie blue stains to come in so I didn't have much to do. I put some grass seeds in a 5% solution of sodium hydroxie to soak for eight hours to soften their cell walls enough that a stain can penetrate it. As I've read some endophytic fungi infections can be passed from the mother plant to her seeds, I was hoping to be able to see if I could find some mycelium there. Alas I forgot to take them out of solution before leaving yesterday and, after soaking all night in such a caustic solution, the seeds were nothing but mush today. I had to throw them all away and will have to try again later next week. 

In better news the stains finally came in! Tooday I got to weigh out, mix and autoclave a special agar for my project this semester. I added the Rose Bengal dye to my plates as well as dilute ampicillin to select against fast growing fungi and bacteria, respectively. In addition to giving endophytic fungi a fighting chance in my agar plates, the rose bengal will be picked up by the fungal colonies making identification of any species easier. 

I'm really loving this program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment